Books: Howard Slatkin {Ffth Avenue Style}

October 21, 2013



Interior designer Howard Slatkin favors
browns, caramels, and food color associations,
and his Fifth Avenue apartment is a tasty reflection.
Who knew a blogger of snowy white Nordic rooms
would find her tiny self wishing to crawl into the
lush candlelit pages of his new dreamy book?

I think it's because Slatkin is a rule breaker
with a joy for living and dreaming.
Man, I love those types.

Beautifully packaged and sealed with wax seals...what a treasure.

Just my humble opinion, but
his book is best enjoyed while sipping
mulled cider near an autumnal crackling fire.
Oh! And with sea salted caramels.
The romantic pages will enliven your senses,
expand your vision of luxury,
and elicit multiple contented smiles.

 

by Howard Slatkin
with photography by
Tria Giovan
(Vendome Press, 2013).



What a privilege to tour
Mr. Slatkin's thoughtfully created
dream apartment and be guided
by design secrets within.

Candlelight creates a 'dusk-like ambience in the gallery.'

I don't think I'm spoiling anything...
but you may need to brace yourself for
the knowledge that the apartment features...
wait for it...
*whisper*
a candle room.
True.

More romance: lilac on a whimsical chair, cuff links in jasper bowls.

Mr. Slatkin was passionate about sharing
intimate living areas of his home: dressing room,
pantries...and thus we are treated to lessons in
mixing personal treasures, valuable art,
precious objects, and the stuff of everyday living.

Cannisters with tins of organic candies? Mouthwatering!

I cannot wait to taste Torie & Howard's
pomegranate and nectarine
organic and all natural hard candies
packaged in those sweet tins!
The book was created not simply to offer
and showcase imaginative solutions
for awkward spaces but TO ENTERTAIN
and accomplishes such purpose brilliantly.
Speaking of entertaining, find
 Howard's tips for entertaining on Bergdorf Goodman's blog.



Speaking of Bergdorf Goodman, check out
the designer's yummy holiday display window in NYC!
Although I could not attend his book signing here,
I will view it in person on a visit in December.


You will love engaging with Fifth Avenue Style
because the author and photographer
have captured sumptuous intimacy.

Peace to you right where you are.

p.s. You know so-and-so will be asking you for a gift idea.
p.s.s. Could you stand to add a little sumptuous intimacy to your place?






You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. Michele-
    I will take the dog and the book, please!! Love that he using just enough oomph in each room he designs. Gorgeous
    Thank you for sharing Miss Priss!
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty amazing book I must agree. I see Howard has great taste (he sent a book to both of us) and how gorgeous was that wrapping? I almost didn't want to open it! Such a treat of a book filled with so many jaw dropping images....AMAZING. I like the idea of eating caramels while drooling.....you are so my kind of girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele
    I am so excited to read this. I adore Howard and his style is sumptuous!

    xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Designer and Artists Series

    ReplyDelete
  4. a slipper chair just for that sweet winnie! gotta love that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that last photo;) Such a cute pup and very happy with his home situation! GORGEOUS book and I think I'm the so-and-so that needs it .. just say-in ;) It's fun to see all personal details. Thanks for showing us a glimpse!

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just took me to Paradise and back! Sighing with a cup of coffee and wondering if I was one of the home owners designed by him. *sigh* beautiful *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pictures, love all of the wall papers! :-)

    http://tinajoathome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So gorgeous. But I think Winnie has to be my favorite feature of the apartment. Even better than the candle room. Pass the hot cider and salted caramels, please! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Michele for such a beautiful editorial on your blog--------which is one I never miss and is filled with so much inspiration. I am so honored to be on your blog, and am grateful for this amazing post, and so grateful. Sincerely, Howard

    ReplyDelete
  10. *faints*

    *is revived by sea-salted caramel*

    *still cannot regain composure*

    ahhhhhhhhhhh! thank YOU, mr. slatkin. for sharing your home in this gorgeous volume and for stopping by.

    you are very welcome.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  11. The accent of the design is sophisticated. I love it! I just wanna stare at the photos all day. You have a lovely home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Michele! Sorry I have been so distant... so crazy busy lately! You're blog always makes me happy! I hope all is well with you and your beautiful family! I'm so excited to hear you've been brainstorming on possibly building a new jewel, so excited for you! Your current home will fly off the the market!

    much love to you!
    Desiree

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous interiors and the book looks wonderful! How fun that you got an advanced copy!
    happy fall! xxojoan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like an amazing book..the cute dog sold me on it immediately!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!