Books: Lighten Up Your Home

September 20, 2011


Sweet Tommy Edison
on a waffle cone,
 there is just nothing like
learning about interior design
from blogs and picture books.

Lighting, for example.
I thought I understood plenty
about lighting interiors.

Mistaken.

Did you know there happens
to be more to illuminating a home
(to create atmosphere, mama)
than the glow of candles,
maximizing natural light,
or placing every switch on a dimmer?

Oh wow.
Let's dish.

Eva De Geyter
and photography team Verne
illustrate in a beautiful way the
practical applications of light in
(Lannoo Publishers).
Those short on time,
may L.O.V.E.
this one as it instructs
with images--VISUALS--in lieu of
bunches of fancy words.
Not that there's anything wrong with
lovely lovely bunches and bunches
of fancy schmancy words and the
insane people preoccupied with them.

A couple of illuminating examples
gleaned from the book:


1.
Windows do not have to be large
to create an atmospheric effect.



2.
Remember light needs shadow to shine fully.



3.
There are many forms of light
beyond just direct and indirect...
fairytale light, for example can be
achieved with high placed windows.



4.
"Small table lights can work
like magic lanterns in a room."
(HOLY amazingly magical art behind the bed.)


Light Up Your Home: The Most Inspiring

5.
Windows can function not only
as sources of light but as
"living paintings of
the outside world."

LIVING PAINTINGS...
this good book provides
fresh perspective.

Enlightened?

Peace to you right where you are.



Click for a list of beautiful design books to inspire.





 Hello Lovely at times partners with
with companies I  love and think may interest you.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I always need more light in my home and not just from windows heaven knows we have a ton of those. I need lamps for at night but since I'm picky I don't have enough. I need to check out this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I need to lighten up!! ;) I wish I had more natural light in my home, I just love the feeling of the sun pouring through. These are beautiful images.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. what i learned from the book is that there is more to lighting rooms than simply maximizing natural light. working with what you've got, you can create atmosphere using shadow, placement of lamps, etc.

    i thought i understood this topic, and i realized i'm clueless!

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very, very interesting, Michelle.

    Enjoyed this post and learning with you!

    Have a wonderful day!

    xo

    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned so much here, Michelle. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm enlightened! And you probably know this, but morning light is more blue, and afternoon light is more yellow.
    Thanks for sharing, it's always fun to learn more about light, and the way it and bounces and reflects and plays with our energy.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!