DIY: Healthy Chicken Salad Recipe

January 14, 2013


I'm a guest over at Barbara's today
musing about my idea of a fabulous
last supper, but we may need to
add gluten-free to that post...

For a week, I have eliminated gluten
to test whether an allergy or
heightened sensitivity is responsible
for recent health issues.

Do you suppose the wheat lalapalooza,
consuming baguettes, baked goods, cookies,
and assorted glutenlovely holiday fare, fresh off a
trip to Paris Croissant-land may have contributed?


Within days, my stomach felt better.
My cough disappeared.
I began to sleep better.
I woke up without puffiness.
And non-puffy awakenings feel like a miracle at this age.

Roasted Salmon, Crab Mashed, Asparagus and Special Sauce

Me and wheat probably need to go our separate ways.
Our son made it easy this week with a yummy g-free meal.
Not sure if you can tell, but this plate is a 6"
There's my tip of the day:
Use teeny tiny plates to avoid overeating.


So I'm trying to keep my tastebuds happy
(and my family!) by trying new stuff.
This was a simple chicken salad with
wild rice, beluga lentils, and apple.
The dressing has a little Maille dijon we
brought back from Paris.




I am not a big chicken salad girl.
I prefer deep dish pizza with
garlic bread on the side
and chocolate cake
for dessert.




I'm not cryin about it though.
It's friggin wheat.
My mom is fighting for her life
and experiencing unthinkable losses.
Innocent children are starving.
Violence is stealing lives everywhere.

  





I welcome the wealth of your knowledge
and resources concerning gluten-free living,
and doggone it...

somehow I'll make gluten free sexy!

(Recipe is below, and I'll see you over at Barbara's today!)

Peace to you right where you are.



Chicken Salad With Wild Rice, Beluga Lentils, and Apple

2 cups diced chicken breasts
(I grilled mine)
1 cup cooked white rice
8.5 oz. cooked wild rice
8.5 oz. cooked beluga lentils
2 small granny smith apples, diced

Whisk and add to above:
4 Tbsp. olive oil
4 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
4 Tbsp. orange juice
2 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
S&P




You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. Hi Michele...LOVED your guest post, you totally nailed it! Interesting topic today.....I have been told I should try the same thing to see if wheat might not be a trigger for headaches/stomach aches. I find it fascinating that so many of your ailments subsided. Does this mean wheat is a thing of the past for you? You do make it look really easy and appetizing..that dish looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just never know.....

    After battling stomach flu
    over the weekend, not only
    did I lose a few pounds (duh),
    but curiously, the teenage
    skin I was once again battling
    completely disappeared. After
    two days in bed and minimal
    food--rice, toast, bananas, my
    skin is clear. So, it is not gluten.
    Dairy?

    If I had it to do again, I would
    have majored in Nutrition. SO
    fascinating!

    Glad you feel great. I will pop
    over and see your post. The
    salad sounds yummy!

    Happy Monday,
    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again you inspire me Michele! Your post on my blog today is gorgeous, but you did it all over again here with all of this inspiration! I hope that no wheat is the ticket for you...and that salad looks divine regardless of what you're trying to avoid. Good reminders too that anything is possible in comparison to what others face every day. Thanks for ALL of this and for being my guest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing that you had those results so quickly. My son and I both have Celiac. It is so hard to diagnose. Usually the tests come out negative. I had positive biopsies but little differences in how I felt after elminating gluten. But now when I add/cheat with a little gluten I can tell. My favorite gluten free products are made by UDI. (Bread, pizza crust)Good luck and so glad you can tell a big difference. I hope your mother will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been gluten free for about a year now....you get use to it and I don't miss it any more. I feel so much better. Try Udis white bread and their raisin bread....so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos, Michele. Looks yummy!! I know so many people who cannot have gluten. The biggest challenge is eating out. Don't be shy about asking questions. I'm off to visit your guest post :)
    xoxo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious Michele! Fortunately there are lots of tasty gluten free alternatives available.

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  8. If anyone can make gluten free sexy it will be YOU!!! I think you will become my poster child for gluten free eating. Can't wait to see what you come up with. There are lots of recipes on Pinterest, I don't know how good they are, but I am sure a lot of them would be worth trying!1
    I think you have the right perspective as always!!
    Love you sweet girl!
    Happy Monday,
    xo Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you made me laugh Michele... I actually think you already did make gluten free sexy... I was lusting that chicken salad and the other salmon dish with special sauce.
    Actually i've been thinking of trying to go gluten free too. I'm already, dairy free, and cow and pig free... and the only thing i really miss is cheese. I work at a clinic where we see lots of kids with aspergers and autism, and so many of these kids totally improve when they go off gluten, it's actually pretty remarkable. A friend was telling me that the wheat we get now, is nothing like the wheat back in the old days, it's lost it's nutrients, and is awful. He explained it scientifically, and i can't remember the details, but it all made sense... But, the thing is, i don't quite know how to go without bread! When all else fails, i know i can grab some bread and arugula and olive oil and be happy... so that would be out the window! Keep us posted on your progress, and show us some more sexy recipes... you can soooo do it!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omgosoh, I just read your post over at Barbara's! Just beautiful Michele, you are such a wonderful spirit, full of joy and wonderment!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and dreams with us,
    xo Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband and I need to give up the gluten, as well. It is going to be difficult, but better for us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michele-
    I feel so much better when I leave off all bread, but I love it and fall often.
    This salad looks amazing. Headed over now.
    Happy Tuesday.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a totally yummy recipe--I love the touch of french dijon-delish!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!