Books: Great Houses of Cayetana by the Spirited and Spanish {Duchess of Alba}

March 13, 2013

The Duchess: Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart

The other night the Duchess of Alba and I
were watching Bravo together, chatting
over tapas and beer, and I go:

WE'VE GOTTA SHARE GLIMPSES INSIDE
THIS NEW BOOK ABOUT YOU AND
YOUR HOMES ON THE BLOG.

And she was all:
DUDE, I'M SOOOOO NOT SURE YOUR
AMIGOS HAVE MUCH INTEREST IN
HISTORICAL HOMES THOUGH.

And I was like:
SERIOUSLY, CAY-CAY,
(she likes it when you call her that)
THEY'RE PRETTY COOL CATS.
* * *
Fine. That exchange occurred only in my noggin
cuz I have yet to meet the eccentric lovely lady
with a zillion titles.

But today's lesson for realz?
A new book featuring her stunning homes you likely
won't see pinned or recycled much in blogland.

We're shakin it up, mama. Houses of Cayetana style.


Duchess of Alba flamenco dancer Cayetana Madrid Spain Spanish
The Duchess turns 87 in a few weeks.

The Great Houses of Cayetana,
Duchess of Alba
(ACC - Ediciones El Viso, 2013)
by
Naty Abascal
(photography by
Ricardo Labougle).

Duchess of Alba flamenco dancer Cayetana Madrid Spain Spanish
The Great House of Cayetana, Duchess of Alba




The Duchess has dedicated much of her life to restoring

properties of the Alba family and generously

opened up her doors for this incredible

coffee table book.



Duchess of Alba flamenco dancer Cayetana Madrid Spain Spanish

What you can't miss about this art lover
and the properties she recovers and manages?
Strong Personality.

Duchess of Alba flamenco dancer Cayetana Madrid Spain Spanish
images via Love is Speed

An accomplished Flamenco dancer and horse jumper,
she and the houses live VERY LARGE.

A Creative Approach to Life.

Duchess of Alba flamenco dancer Cayetana Madrid Spain Spanish

A great lover of painting (an amateur herself),
she lives fully, fashionably, and artfully.
Great Passions.


Her passions are reflected vividly on the pages
of this amazing book, and the level of detail, thought,
value, and historical significance leave the reader
(okay, let's be honest, it's a picture book, so the viewer)
in awe.

Duchess of Alba flamenco dancer Cayetana Madrid Spain Spanish
  
220 large-format photographs—a gorgeous visual tour of the houses that belong to the Duchess of Alba in Madrid (The Liria Palace), Seville (The Palace of Las Dueñas), Salamanca
(The Palace of Monterrey), Ibiza and San Sebastián
combine in a feast of lovely.

Duchess of Alba flamenco dancer Cayetana Madrid Spain Spanish

My favorite Cayetana interior?

Her painting studio in The S'Aufabaguera House...
(see page 130).

Nothing palatial or royalbillionaire bling-y about it.
Rather a quiet seaside retreat for a free-spirited,
living out loud lady to create in paradise.

Peace to you right where you are.



p.s.
Still gazing at that amazing first image
of the dancing Duchess like I am??????





 Hello Lovely at times partners
with companies I  love and think may interest you.








You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. This is so not your normal bag (nor mine if I'm honest) but I have to say I LOVE IT! A home should reflect it's owner and a strong creative woman like this should have a home that's just as strong and creative. This looks like a fab book just to oooh and awww over. Thanks for the recommendation my dear! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know! where's the stockholm apartment? the french macaron? the minimal magic? this post fits perfectly with my complex mood today: fiery and passionate.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow fascinating woman!!! And anyone who takes life and enjoys it to the max and isn't afraid to take chance and live large is someone I want to know more about. I want to know her inner most secrets and what motivates her and gives her the fuel to do as she pleases. A dancer and a horsewoman and an art lover? I am impressed!! Thanks for introducing us to your newest bud....love the circles you travel in and see how you became fast friends:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooooh i wish i could get to know the duchess, but alas you must read the first stanza again. i only wish i could share tapas and a face to face with her!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I'm watching on Direct TV, just like Downton Abbey, the life of Duchess of Alba in a series, as well. What a lovely coincidence and what a great post, I also love the idea of the book. Thank you so much for shraring this beautiful images of her and her home, as the Duchess is the most noble royal in Europe..more than Queen Elizabeth. My granddaughter's name is Cayetana and my last name is ALBA, lol..
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am so thrilled you saw this post, fabby! i will check out the series for sure--thank you.

    :)
    michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing! I could just live in the library!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite photo is the one where she's reaching for her paint brush. There's nothing more beautiful than the look of an person in the midst of creating. There's so much mystery and aliveness in those moments.
    Beautiful images, I'll have to look up more info on her. Thanks girlfriend.
    Leslie (Gwen Moss)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love how you open our minds to new possibilities and new experiences. I love seeing the world through your eyes, always a beautiful journey!
    xo kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! WHat an interesting life and experience.. lots of inspiration here!
    Best, Karolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an amazing woman! I like her look at the top:). A little sassy, smart, strong. She radiates confidence .. and that really makes a woman shine.

    xxL

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's gorgeous and so accomplished... I'm afraid to admit that I have never heard of her before! You're always enlightening me... thank you my dear!

    xoxo
    Desiree

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! I am so intrigued by the first image, and then seeing her young, with her crazy artsy vibe. And, check out those interiors, whoa...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!