My Home: Around the House in July

August 02, 2014



Not much has changed since last I welcomed you
but come on in, and let's dish about house and life schtuff.
* * *
Everybody loves our front doors with working speakeasies.
Close friends have similar ones we fell for,
and because they love us, they gave us their blessing
to adopt our own.



We live in the sort of town where a three-car garage
is just expected because residents own tractors,
snowmobiles, and big toys.
So when we built the home, it was a must
even though I think it's pretty tacky.
I'd rather hide a garage away.
Whatev.




My husband built the shutters, and I recently changed
them from a putty color to Farrow and Ball's Manor House Grey.


Belgian linen on the counterstools is still lookin' sweet
even with so many young men and crimson beverages hanging out.


It is spacious but not fancy in here.
People feel instantly relaxed.
I sweep the floor almost every morning,
and this is quiet time I spend with God.
He speaks, and my heart is softened here.



Believe it or not, I have written reviews
for just about every book on this etagere!


Cindy Austin's painting "Nightlight"
is a more recent purchase and graces a humble
vintage art table in the entry to our bedroom.
I rescued the table (in its former life, touched by
hundreds of children's hands painting and gluing)
and have used it in every home we have owned.
If you know the artist Cindy, then you
know she likely approves of this placement.


Lots of songwriting going on here.
And schaaaaaawinging. 


I have read 3,451 books on this serene porch.
But who is counting?


My guys drive golf balls and play ultimate
frisbee back here.


I cherish the sliding barn doors built by my man
for the lower level our sons occupy.


This is the boys' bath with pocket doors
leading to their bedrooms.
They are spoiled with a walkin shower the size of some Paris apartments.
The HUGE corner built-in has been with us for ages
so we incorporated it into the
carrara happy bathroom's
design for storage.
It's da bomb in terms of how much clutter it contains.


In the butler's panty leans one of the first watery
abstracts on wood I created.


For entertaining, the dining room table is heaped with
deliciousness as a buffet.




I am going to write a post about living fearlessly
with white very soon because I am asked about
that topic more than any other, and after decades
of loving white, I reign as an authority.




My style in a few words?
Soulful. Timeless. Tranquil. Relaxed.
And those are qualities I cherish
in others and myself.

Peace to you right where you are.




You Might Also Like

34 comments

  1. Replies
    1. so flattered, erin. thank you. come anytime and paint your beautiful masterpieces (but don't look at my gardening...no skills!).

      Delete
  2. Love your style of decor! So soft, yet relaxing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. merci! just reading 'coastal cottage dreams' puts me in the best mood. :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. so kind, franki. thank you for such loyalty to this blog and positive energy. it feeds my soul.

      Delete
  4. This is so beautiful and tranquil, Michele. No wonder people feel relaxed here. If you are a lover of white, you should check out the book "White by Design" by Bo Niles, if you have not already. It's a little older - was published in the '80's, I believe, but I'm sure you could find it on Amazon or another out of print book source, such as Powell's Books in Portland, Oregon or Abe Books. It's one of the first design books I ever purchased and I never get tired of looking at the images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm off to check it out. i know what you mean about the timelessness of some of those volumes on white decor. love it! thanks.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for the tour of your pretty home! I don't know how I found your blog, but I so enjoyed the pictures and your warm and funny commentary. Great home. Great blog!

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a pleasure to have you, blondie. thanks for taking the time to say such thoughtfully kind words.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful and serene indeed! I can't wait to see where you land next. Best wishes for a really great offer. Patty/NS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a journey this is turning out to be, patty! how in the world did you navigate it with grace? we will see if we make it out of here with our sanity. otherwise, i'm stayin and maybe forever.

      Delete
  7. I love the uncluttered feel of your beautiful home Michele.
    As for describing your home and your passion for white one word comes to play in it all, and that is harmony! :)
    I love the music I hear throughout your home room by room it's so beautiful girl! every inch of it.
    Love the elevation of your home. The brick work, the shutters, the pathways and your view.
    I am so looking forward to what's I store for you next!

    Beautiful August to you my dear.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooooh, j'adore harmony, dore! thank you for sharing that thought. always humbled by your feedback. beautiful august right back at ya.

      Delete
  8. Wow Michele....SO beautiful! I love the soft neutral colors, and it is so calming, serene, elegant inviting and beautiful!!! I love it and feel the peace and good energy. I love your narration too......I can see much love and soul went into creating a home for you and your family. Thank you for inviting us in, the property is also stunning!
    You are a lucky lady:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for mentioning peace. it's what we strive for. since your home is my ultimate dream fantasy home, i'm humbled by your comments. thanks, beautiful tina. i would love to see our home decked out in more enchanted home finery, and if we do not sell this year, i see blue and white movin in!

      Delete
  9. Hi there friend...as you know I always love your house tours....it remains my favorite decorated home out there...truly....the front doors are AMAZING....and totally LOVING the shutters...that color is used everywhere at home and at the beach house....finally on here as it is raining at the beach for day 2...caught up on a couple little paint projects but would much rather be on the beach...lol....oh and one more thing...love your porch...we have a screen porch at the "burbs" house and it's my favorite spot to read, drink wine, coffee etc....thanks for once again sharing your LOVELY home...I so enjoy it!!....xoxo, Mariaelena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. take me with you to the beach. man, i need that right now. manor house grey IS a keeper, and i love how it works with all sorts of different architecture. enjoy your august, mariaelena!

      Delete
  10. It's on its way, all packed up and will ship Monday.
    I added a little something in there for you... Adding to your days of reading and reviewing :)

    Xx
    Bisous

    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do have a great front door and a beautiful home....cant wait to see the next chapter...I hate packing...its the pits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wish i could see the next chapter! smiles to you, lovely one.

      Delete
  12. How beautiful Michele. You had me at the chandelier in the first photo, but every room is amazing. Love the porch, could sit there for ever. A lovely home for a lovely person. Thanks for inviting us in... XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yer sweet, jeanne. heading out to the porch in two shakes...

      Delete
  13. Wow, it's so big and beautiful...and yes, it oozes serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a lovely home. I hope you are well, Kathryn in California

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michele-
    I loved seeing your home! It is absolutely stunning and so serene.
    Thanks for sharing, sweet lady!
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Michele... trying to catch up on you. It is soooooooo beautiful here in your home... dang - and that porch with the view is heavenly. Even the garage doors aren't bad... i'm with you on garage doors, but yours in an arch and grouping of three is really attractive. I'm sure someone will scoop your gorgeous home up in a heartbeat. I was enjoying the post so much, just scrolling down through the peaceful uncluttered rooms, and saw my painting and it looks so pretty there. It is perfect for your house... I'm so glad it's yours...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. hello illinois girlfriend, your home is divine, and your views, WOW!!
    serene kitchen, and i love how it is your place with God
    blessings,
    debra

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely, serene home you have! I was wondering what color white you use for your walls. It is very soft and creamy. Not sure if its the photography or if its really that warm.
    Please share!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dayum.....chez Michele is so gorgeous! I can see that I seriously need to do some editing around my little dump:). Seriously girl you have such a peaceful way about you in everything you do!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Splendid style. I love everything! I would love if you come link up tomorrow on the Monday party!
    Xo
    Isabelle
    www.lechateaudesfleurs.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!