Artist Inspiration: MALIK SAAKA

May 08, 2011



Emerging artist
m a l i k  s a a k a
creates
works inviting us
to lose ourselves in lovely. 

and how cool is his name?



My connection with Malik
happened the instant someone who
knows me well emailed a photo
of one of his paintings.

This led to:
a knock on his door,
a warm embrace,
laughter,
the chance to view his incredible portfolio in person,
and the beginning of a friendship.

Oh and my art collection of this rising star.

Malik's work is full of intrigue and TINY FEET!

Care to eavesdrop on my chat with Mr. Saaka?



me:
WHY HONOR CREATIVITY?

malik:
"It's just as valuable as a natural resource
and just as hard to find an alternative for.

True innovation is priceless and should be
treated as such so that we as a society
can inspire the next generation,
and so on and so forth."

Did I mention he is still in college?
Uh-huh.

me:
WHAT COMES TO MIND WHEN
YOU HEAR 'BEAUTY IN IMPERFECTION?'

malik:
"Dirty rainwater, transgendered super models, and my artwork."


omg i'm still crazy bout this piece.

me:
TELL ME ABOUT HUMOR IN YOUR LIFE AND WORK.

malik:
"It's totally irrelevant to my work
(where I focus more on the macabre);
however, it permeates every other aspect of my life."

I can attest, folks. He's hilarious.


mixed media piece in my collection

me:
WHAT THINGS ARE INSPIRING YOU RIGHT NOW?

malik:
"Riccardo Tisci's work at Givenchy,
70's Japanese exploitation films,
and my little sister Zahra."

See...just another reason I respect the artist.
I have zero frame of reference for any of
his inspirations...leaving even more to discover
in his work and the workings of his mind.


no tiny feet yet lovely

me:
SUGGESTIONS FOR FINDING LOVELY
AND SACREDNESS IN THE "EVERYDAY?"

malik:
"Take time to live in the moment.
Learn what you as an individual value.
Try to incorporate that in everyday activities."


mine



So many fashionable details springing
from the depths of his imagination.



Malik's blog is a place of edgy experimentation.
Translation:
Do not pop an Ambien  and then hop over to his
tumblr thinking tiny dancers...trust me on this.

It's full of macabre magic,
work samples, and his contact info.
Email him to ask about originals for sale.


(The young artist is open to strange custom requests
even from neurotically charming suburban moms...
mine was something like:
"Currently obsessed with Joan of Arc,
think the color pink should be incorporated,
and wish something better could be done with her hair.")

I know. I know. Poor guy.


Thank you for your inspiration, Malik.
So blessed to know you and follow your artful journey.

Peace to you right where you are.


You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Good morning, pretty lady!

    Oh, I love this!!! Seriously! So inspiring... seeing all of these colors right now made me smile and feel happy. Your words are always of so much wisdom and laughter.... :-)

    Did you have a good Mother's Day. I thought a lot about your yesterday. Meant to drop by, but it was BUSYYYY around here.


    Have a Blessed week, sweetie!

    xo

    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a guy! What a talented & witty artist! I would have been knocking on his door too, had I lived a tad closer!

    I suspect Malik will have a long and successful career doing what he likes most. And we learned about him here first!

    Thank you for sharing this lovely and colorful post!

    Warm hugs to you my friend,

    Mon

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes--so inspiring and magical! and a colorful personality and a name that rhymes with chic to boot.

    :)
    michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I am in love with Malik's art! I love your interviews and reading how they answer your questions, it feels I get to know them a little and therefore feel more connected to their art.

    I love how inspired I feel when I visit here, my lovely. A little short on time lately so blogging activity has been slow, but you know I'll never miss a HELLO LOVELY post!

    Meera xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember you showing Malik's art before in a previous post, I think. Is that right? And I huuuugely admired it then too. I love the photo of the hand. The use of colour just takes my breath away. Really.

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep, i have blogged about malik a few times. use of color--yes, yes, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are amazing and what a great interview! Such talent and so down to earth. I wish him well in his pursuit of his dreams, I think he has a wonderful head start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful and fun artwork...love all of the bright colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an insightful young man and his work is deliciously colourful. I love the mixed media piece you have and I LOL'd at the Joan of Arc 'hair' remark - oh you do make me laugh!

    I am really loving this series SO MUCH!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello. Came across your website randomly. I love Malik's work and would love to commission him to do a piece for my house. I live in Los Angeles and would also like to put him in contact with some of designer friends. Please let me know how I might reach him.
    Pratima
    pratima.anae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!