Travel Inspiration: Apostle Islands

February 17, 2014

Record Temperatures Freeze a Path to the Spectacular Lake Superior Ice Caves Wisconsin Lake Superior is it spring yet ice caves


Winter weather in the Midwest creates challenges.
Today I slid all over the road, cursing praying
aloud that my SUV would get a grip.


photo by melissa james (at a lake in wisconsin)

My spirits sink with so much grey weather
and below zero-ness; but visually, sweet mother,
frosty beauty is everywhere.

Today I'm taking you to the ice caves
at the Apostle Islands on the Wisconsin
coast of Lake Superior.
(We live a baby step from the Wisconsin border.)



Record Temperatures Freeze a Path to the Spectacular Lake Superior Ice Caves Wisconsin Lake Superior is it spring yet ice caves

Because of our historic deep freeze, for the first time
since 2009, it is safe enough to make the trek over
the frozen lake to visit these gorgeous ice caves.


Record Temperatures Freeze a Path to the Spectacular Lake Superior Ice Caves Wisconsin Lake Superior is it spring yet ice caves
via

The beauty of the ice formations is a result of
a cool autumn and polar vortexes this winter.
Freeze and thaw cycles have created
something magical, and how fun that
admirers may walk on water to
arrive to planetary bliss.



via


via

Chosen a favorite image yet?




I hope to make the 2-mile skate across the lake
soon to view the frozen spectacle for myself...
and a trip to Canada at the end of this week
promises arctic wows too.

"In winter the stars seem to have rekindled their fires,
the moon achieves a fuller triumph,
and the heavens wear a look of a more exalted simplicity."
(John Burroughs)


Peace to you right where you are.






 Hello Lovely at times partners
with companies I  love and think may interest you.



You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. I am breathless in amazement...Hauntingly beautiful but eerie too. What a winter.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just amazing, Michele! Scary, incredible, and just plain beautiful! I can hardly wait to see your pics of your trip here and to Canada! I didn't know that you lived in WI. For some reason, I imagined you living in some far off exotic place. lol!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we live in exotic illinois, almost in wisconsin. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! These photos are amazing ...
    ... dreamy ... magical ...

    Margaret
    http://www.decordesireforbeauty.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michele, these are absolutely gorgeous. When I saw the title of this blog post it made me nervous because I am claustrophobic and would never want to be in a dark cave. These amazing caves are incredible and I would enjoy seeing them in person. I've never seen anything like this.. what an amazing site! So glad you were able to walk through these:) xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i haven't been there yet and if the temps keep rising, i won't get there!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing those fabulous photos of the ice caves. I did see a piece about these ice caves on tv recently but it is great to have photos that I can study and linger over. The thought of walking/skating two miles on a frozen lake sounds scary to me...you are brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm not brave. just a distance walker. it's a mile long walk there and back, hence 2 miles.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Didn't know such beauty existed!
    Thank you for sharing and enjoy your trip x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enchanted winter wonderland!!! I've never heard of these ice caves. Hurry and go.....before it all melts. We finally warmed up to the 50s today. I love winter but am ready for spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I swear i've never seen such a beautiful cave before. Can we get some full size prints of it to sell after framing at paintbox SoHo

    ReplyDelete
  9. GASP, they're beautiful!!! Oh my gosh... You have to ice skate 2 miles across a frozen lake to get to them!?? I like the third photo the best, the photo right under the picture of you...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well you can walk, but i like the idea of 'skate' since it's ice, ya know? 1 mile each way. i would so make you go if you lived here.

      Delete
  10. Who knew such beauty existed in our country! I like the third photo best too (like Cindy) and the first one. Is it really called Apostles Island? That is so awesome. I would be afraid to go in them because I am not fond of caves or any closed in space. I look forward to seeing your journey to view them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Amazing images! And to think I left Wisconsin to move to the UK... tsk. We could have hopped on over that little border more often ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!