Books: Living Newport {Bettie Bearden Pardee}

February 26, 2015

Parterre Bench

I'm ready for spring already, and enticing us with her
spring green bench is author, garden connoisseur
and former magazine editor Bettie Bearden Pardee.

 Her new book Living Newport: Houses, People, Style
is inspired by her
beloved city of Newport (Rhode Island).



Living Newport: Houses, People, Style (Glitterati, 2014)
spotlights 17 properties, all of whose owners she knows personally.

Bettie's third book treats us to enchanting gardens, life by the sea, 
and the intimacy, easy elegance, sophistication, and history of
one of the oldest cities in the country. 

Hammersmith Farm
Hammersmith Farm

Of Newport, Bettie reports,

"There is no phoniness. Newport attracts people who are taken with the city’s authenticity. I don’t think they come here as preservationists, but they fall in love with the iconic homes that they buy. They don’t do anything to the property but refresh it. They make cosmetic updates, such as paint, rewiring, and polishing the bronze sconces."

An Enticing Day on Narragansett Bay Bay
Narragansett Bay

Hammersmith Farm
Hammersmith Farm

Bettie's own Newport home (Parterre) is magical.


351

Have we died and gone to France?



Ahhhhhhh. Truly a heavenly home.



garden-tour-newport-ri-parterre

Aren't Parterre's gardens exquisite?
Indoors, I love how Pardee decorates with books:
(these images are from her site)

Stack large, substantial books to create a side table. Keep in mind…they aren’t called “coffee table books” for nothing!

Bettie Pardee New York Book Post-18



I appreciated seeing these vignettes since I have
been meaning to address my overflowing shelves
and decorate with my own treasured picture books.

Bettie Pardee New York Book Post-1

For an insider's view of the private homes and gardens,
soirees and pastimes of both the old guard
and new tastemakers of this fabled town,
look no further than Living Newport: Houses, People, Style.

Have you visited this part of the country?

Peace to you right where you are.






You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Wow, I wish I could wander through those gardens and scrutinize her placement of everything. We're getting ready to fill in a huge in-ground (a big chunk of change) but afterwards we'll have a clean slate which excites me. And I have visions of simple and classic in our backyard. Now if only I could win the lottery hahaha
    xo
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya know, sounds like we have a mighty good reason to meander through Parterre, leslie. i'm in. i hope we will get to see the progress of your gardening on the blog. i on the other hand am ready to ditch the acreage for the simpler life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have definitely died and gone to heaven. Added to my list of "cities I must visit"- Newport. What a lovely home and so inspiring! Loved it. Ps: That green bench.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wish we could discover it together, roy! p.s. i'd love to visit your lsweet slice of heaven.

      Delete
  4. Hi Michelle,

    I will have to check out her book. I need a visit to Newport. It's about 1 hr. 1/2 for me and my daughter goes to college near by. I need to plan a girls weekend and go visit her! Thanks for sharing the book with us.

    Love,
    Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how fun, deb! wish i could say i was heading to newport. for me it's always the gym!

      Delete
  5. Her book looks wonderful...Ill have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, can you even imagine living in a place like that?! I could almost feel the energy of it all looking at the photos. Love the cover of the book too, it's really pretty!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful book - cannot wait to get it!! Love Newport - chic and charming. Happy weekend, Michele!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up going to the beaches in Newport, walking Thames St. and enjoying the shops and even the arcade. I loved it so much that the only thing I asked for when I was getting married is to make it somewhere in Newport. Sure enough my husand to be surprised me with a beautiful wedding on the lawn of the Eisenhower summer white house. 12 years later, we take our 3 children each summer for a week to vacation.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!