Travel Inspiration: Diptyque in Paris

December 05, 2012




I hinted in an earlier post
our trip to Paris was not to be about
fancy dining or French cooking...and
it also wasn't about spending a fortune
in fancy shops.

However, since I was familiar
with their fabulously scented candles,
we knew we would
do serious damage at
Diptyque,
34 Boulevard St. Germain,
just 'round the corner from our apartment.



I could tell you it's a chic fragrance house,
but it's so much more than that.
We hung out here a lot with
the kindest gentleman in the
reflection at top right.


My husband has a legendary 'nose'
and loved learning and trying out
Diptyque's unisex scents before choosing
a few to not just bring home, but to
become his signature scents.



My 'nose' is not so shabby either,
and I was in heaven inhaling
so many complex and understated
perfumes.
I am not a fan of flowery smells so the
abundance of natural and clean scents
at Diptyque was comforting.






 I required candles too.
REQUIRED.



 We learned how to properly and accurately
smell the essence of the candles,
and Liberty London Girl has
a great post about what
we learned.



Here are a few I  brought home:

Oyedo:
A basket of vibrant, sensual citrus fruit; named after the ancient name of Tokyo.





 Figuier:

The warmth of fig wood, the freshness of its leaves and the milky sap.

Here's one you can buy!



I've been wearing L'eau des Hesperides
and loving it...
a playful, zesty Cologne full of green freshness with a contrasting, provocative touch. The citrusy notes of this fragrance are stirred up with intense, peppery mints. The metal ball intensifies the fresh nature of the Colognes, leaving a delicately dosed scented veil on the skin.




 One of my husband's picks is Volutes:

The voyage of your dreams, on board a liner from Marseille to Saigon. A long haul crossing, stopping off at a number of places with magical names, all redolent of adventure and spice. The charm of life on board ship, where time does not exist. The labyrinth of polished passageways and the panelled walls of the lounges, the enigmatic elegant women leaning on the rail on top deck, indulging in the pleasure of Khedive cigarettes. A smell forever imprinted on the memory.



 You can visit Diptyque at many locations
or shop online!

A location on North Damen in Chicago
just opened the other day, so I plan
to take my sons for a sniff during
their Christmas break.

I was hoping it would have all
the chartreuse magic like the one
on Saint Germain, so I will report
back to you on how the blue
decor fares.

Have a favorite scent (Diptyque or otherwise) to share?

Peace to you right where you are.




You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. Bonjour Michele. Thank you for taking us to a favorite Parisian boutique of mine today. I have been a fan of Dyptique's Figuier scent for years. You got me curious about the Oyedo fragrance. I do not recall trying that one yet... Mmmm... Looks like my Christmas shopping is not entirely done. C'est la vie! Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love their candles, Michele! Currently my favorite is Fenouil Sauvage....a light foliage / fennel scent. I've not been to the shop in Saint Germain. Lucky you! :)
    xo
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I bet those smell amazing! I need to take a trip down to the city and check out that shop!Thank you so much for sharing!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard so much good stuff about Diptyque that I am surprised I've never sought them out myself. I could almost smell the fragrances from here because of your writing - not too shabby either!!!

    Big hugs to you, my nearly-French-friend!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmm! I love a wonderful fragrance!! I felt that way when we went into Guerlain and I purchased what has become my signature fragrance, Oriental Brullant. I love the way it makes me think of Paris everytime I put it on!!! I am going to go and read the post about the candles. I just purchased a lovely fragrance from Diane James Home, WINTER! it is beautiful!!
    xo Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to go to the one in Chicago! I am so excited!

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite stops in Paris! (I agree, the St. Germain chartreuse is a little more my style than the Chicago blue.) My very favorite of their candles-especially this time of year-is the pomander. Heaven. So glad you got to indulge in Paris. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could and would go nuts there, and never leave and they might have to boot me out at closing time. Love their candles and stock up on roses...can't get enough of the intoxication. Beautiful scents and amazing that this one little candle has so much heaven in one little jar! Fun fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michele, this is lovely. I didn't stop by when we were there, so I'm enjoying all this! I am not familiar with Oyedo :)

    xx
    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet Michele,
    So sorry I haven't visit you earlier!! Although you commented so much on my posts!! Apologize me my friend, but I am so busy and I really would love to comment all of my friend's post but I am not able to!!
    But I do have to say that I follow all of your posts (your Paris posts are just gorgeous)!
    I wish you a wonderful day and I promise to visit you more often!
    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a
    heavenly way to spend
    time with a loved one.

    I like clean, crisp scents
    to wear {although I am
    drawn to scents like freesia,
    gardenia, tuberose and
    orange blossom}. Right
    now I'm burning my favorite
    Christmas candle, which is
    Frasier Fir by The Thymes.
    The sister of one of my
    close friends was the chemist
    who created that scent for
    them!

    Your choices sound magical.
    Enjoy!

    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE IT!!! I am such a perfume hound!! My husband must think I am crazy with all the artisan perfumes on our dresser, but I cannot help it! I love this post!
    THanks for sharing,
    Karolyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love perfumes, candles, anything that smells good! :-)

    I'd go "gaga" in that store... and I'd probably brake the bank! :-)

    Wishing you a peaceful day.

    xo


    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have never been one for perfume! turning over a new leaf.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will have to try it....turning over a new leaf sounds good...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh Michele I love this adventure. It is so wonderful that your husband got into the spirit of scent!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art*by*Karena

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amost better than macaroons (almost!) Love a fresh, citrus scent too so will have to try Hersperides and my favorite candle is the fig--so yummy! Have a lovely weekend lovely! xxBarbara

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always fancied a Diptyque candle for the home but ordering online seemed risky - I want to smell them in person!! However your descriptions are absolutely heavenly! I love a fresh citrus scent, I may have to risk it - I can't imagine being disappointed ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really one of my favorite candles.....bought a few the last time I was in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful place to spend some quality time in! Nothing better than a fabulous scent. Thank you for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world! Would love it if you woud share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/12/make-it-pretty-monday-week-27.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing place to visit! I have always wanted one of their lovely scented candles.

    Another "must see" has been added to my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heaven. I would love one of their candles someday! Too bad I'm so darn cheap ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wish I could smell them through the laptop :) they look gorgeous!
    XOXO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!