Personal Reflections: Love Always Wins {Waldorf Astoria Chicago}

October 14, 2013


What a difference a year makes!
A year ago, my groom and I were in Paris
celebrating 25 years of marriage,
both of us in terrific health.

A year later in Chicago at the Waldorf!

Much heartbreak, many surgeries, and multiple
illnesses later, we recently returned
to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago
with joy and gratitude in our hearts
for our annual anniversary weekend.

They will make you feel extra special at the Waldorf
sending up champagne and chocolate-dipped amenities!


I wanted to fully immerse myself in the wedding spirit
and paraded in this lacy gown belonging to to my
second mama...it is a gorgeous 1966 dress
(the year my husband and I were born).
I would swim in my own 80's era 50 lb. dress.
I wish someone, anyone, had asked me at some point
during the dress shopping:
 Now, you CAN MOVE in this suit of armor, can't you?
Because weddings tend to involve movement and dancing.

Weddings by Tara Guérard (Gibbs Smith, 2010)

Were I planning a wedding today,
there would be yards of tulle and
a ballroom at the Waldorf.

I would take full advantage of resources
like this beautiful one above from Tara Guerard.


My cake might resemble this romantic
deliciousness from a page in Tara's book.



Ignore the hair.

Growing out layers is the devil.


The Tiffany crystal is my sister's!
We all know I am tightening my belt and saving
pennies for a trip abroad...I spent 12 bucks at my
favorite: BHLDN a stone's throw from our room.


Madonna? She aint.



Flower child? Probably.


If you read this blog regularly you'll know
my physique has changed from a year ago
when I had never heard of the BRCA gene
and could not fathom 'previvor' or
amputation/reconstruction/surgical menopause.
My mind and spirit have transformed too.
But love?
Oh how love has remained.
And deepened.
* * *
Whatever battle you are fighting just now...
know that you are stronger than you think.
Acknowledge that becoming a more vulnerable soul
may just be the best thing to ever happen to you.
And be kind, very kind to that soul as it heals.

Peace to you right where you are.




You Might Also Like

19 comments

  1. Oh how I love YOU and your beautiful words. You are stunning inside and out and it is a privilege to call you friend, xoxo Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your trip last year. My goodness, has it really been a year? I'm so happy to read your words today and hear the strength and wisdom in them. You are beautiful inside and out my friend ...happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You are beautiful. I appreciate your blog and you. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Michele and your approach to life. It is truly admirable...you are my hero in a beautiful lacy wedding dress. You so deserved that special celebration..and I am a huge fan of Tara's' too..that cake to die for. You look like you are getting younger every day, think you need to spill the beans on your secret!
    You look amazing, and your groom is one lucky man to have you as his bride..you are fierce in every way that counts:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you, beautiful girl. I love this post. Love your courage, your spirit and the wonderful soul that shines through. Thanks for the reminder to stay strong, no matter what headwinds life delivers. You're an inspiration, dear! Happy Anniversary!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post. You look beautiful in that gown. The room is really nice. That bed looks cozy, cozy. Glad that you have that positive spirit. I am a cancer survivor and it changes you forever......and in agood way. You are so appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are too damn cute!!! Good for you girl!! I am so impressed by your strength and stamina and the fact that you can still fit in your wedding gown!!! Unbelievable, I hope you had as much fun as you look like you did!
    xo Karolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary....love that dress...its gorgeous! Your words are inspirational and your strength is admired by so many!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary to you both, Michele! And know that you continue to be such an strong, courageous inspiration to me. Your depth of strength, compassion, determination, and love is amazing. God bless you, my friend. ♥

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to come and steal that gown, my friend!
    Happy anniversary! May you share many more happy, healthy years together!

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohhhhh thanks, friends. such a fun anniversary and getaway. i think i may need to collect bridal gowns from the 60s. still so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post Michele and Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it's been a year already!! I remember talking to you before our trip to Paris two summers ago.. where does time go? Your are right. We can handle more than we think, love deepens, and we become stronger. Love the action shots here;) and you are as pretty as ever! xxooL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awwwww... so touching. You look so pretty. Isn't it strange to think of all the things that have happened. And just look at you, better than ever, and jumping on the bed. Flower child - yes...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. The best of luck to you. You are beautiful & brave! May you remain blessed.

    Tina Marie @ Turkey Hill Road

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Anniversary, sweet Michele!!
    Wow, to look so beautiful in that dress!
    Beautiful post you created here, lady.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an awesome post! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, you're so beautiful, M!

    It's so nice to stop by and see how wonderful you are.

    Congrats on your anniversary! What a blessing!

    lots of LUV to you!

    xo


    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such an amazing dress! It looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! Simply beautiful!

    Smiles!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!