Personal Reflections: New VIDEO for the Blog...and This One's Even More Vulnerable!

February 20, 2017

Michele of Hello Lovely in charcoal dress with ruffles and HP laptop
Photo: Stella. Dress: Kate Towers, Sofa cover: Bemz ; laptop: HP Elitebook Folio; chair fabric: Shabby Chic Couture

Oh, lord have mercy.
The show business shenanigans of a grown woman.
Here's a video we made for Hello Lovely's ABOUT page
perhaps proving I'm as neurotic and
weird (but nice) as my posts suggest.

The first time I filmed a video for the blog,
I had just
recovered from a hysterectomy, oophorectomy,
double mastectomy, and breast reconstruction,
and you can tell my energy is low yet I'm
doing my best to return to normalcy
and put on a brave face to
celebrate a blog-a-versary.

(The very best part of that video is
that it made my mom, who was
suffering greatly at the time,
very very happy.)

This time, I'm heavier, don't dance in stilettos, and try
to highlight some of my interests:
renovating
baking
painting
and
blogging.

Videographer and artist Nick Harner
made the filming process beyond enjoyable
even while executing a million things at once...
what do I mean?


The videographer
*We filmed this in ONE SHOT without editing or stopping.
Stopping for, you know,
'Oops, pretty sure i sounded ridiculous there...' 
(instead, I remain consistently ridiculous.)

*Nick filmed, narrated, and juggled everything,
knowing one slip-up or pause from him or me
would force us to start over...hire this pro!

*We got our shot the 4 time...not too shabby.

*No weave or extensions, thank you very much.
While I may bring them out of retirement
if you need me for a glamour shoot,
this is the imperfect mane,
messy and undone on a normal day
in jeans and a thrifted wool sweater.

*Behind the scenes video secrets*

*The format idea for the video is from Vogue's 73 Questions,
as I wanted to show you our fixer upper while
simultaneously squeezing in a bunch of banter.

*There was zero rehearsing--we simply went for it and 
ended up keeping the 4th and last take...that's why
this format is so vulnerable--you can't edit quirky
stuff out, fix an awkward pause, or enhance yourself.

*I composed 50 questions, shared them
with Nick minutes before 'action,'
and didn't know the order he would ask them.
(He read the questions from his phone while
filming with his professional get-up and
impossibly narrating all at once!)

*I aimed to keep scary big eyes moments to a minimum
but it's hard when you naturally make absurd theatrical
expressions that embarrass your family
when you speak about passions...dang.

*You'll notice my paintbrush is completely stiff and
dried out as it was poised and ready hours before
we filmed...hahahaha.

*I really did bake Butterfinger cookies and my
sourdough bread that day...there's always
something baking and being created here.

*My Justin Bieber cover? Horrible...really, who does that?
I sang it better in other takes and apologize to the Biebs.

*The front door in the video is the old one...
our new one is now installed...
pics coming soon!

*I have yet to address that bedroom/studio
(where you see me painting),
so it's a bit of a storage closet at the moment...
I really do work on the floor upon a dropcloth.

*My response to that first question
'favorite feature in the house?'
is in reference to the wooded property not
to the inside, so I mess up from the very beginning!

*My laptop is an Elitebook Folio from HP,
and I am loving the touchscreen!

*I truly regret: not checking the back of my
hair (stringy and what you see most of!)
and also the way I respond 'Matt Damon'
followed by a lusty clicking sound like a freak
(in our bedroom no less). That was uncalled for
and I'd edit it out with all the
big eyes and 'ums' if I could.

*I truly love: that readers can hear
my voice and see my mannerisms,
that you get a better feel for scale
at the fixer upper (like when you see me
in the master bedroom), and that when the
veil is lifted, it's clear I'm an ordinary barefoot
sugar plum fairy in suburbia.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, NICK,
FOR YOUR FINE WORK
AND WEARING ALL THOSE
HATS SO FABULOUSLY!

p.s.
I'd like to plead "Don't Judge"
but judgers gonna judge, oui?
Especially judges who will never enter
such a vulnerable arena themselves.
Laugh with your girl as she guides
a tour of progress at the fixer upper,
forgive her for
ungainly moments, and see that she is
behaving as naturally as one with no
training as a Real Housewife of BlogCity
can with a camera in the face

On with the show.


Videography & Production: Nick Harner

Vulnerable!

If you haven't seen my Molly Ringwald School of Dance
 video with my dog in 2013find it here. 


Peace to you right where you are.



Hello Lovely Studio Michel pointe shoes ballet slippers denim

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. You know what surprised me? The size of some of your furniture. Without perspective of an actual person standing beside it I did not realize your bed was so large... the dimension is richer and deeper in this video than comes across through photos. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! and if i could go back and film it again, i would climb on top of the sideboard in the living room to show you its heft--it's huge! thanks so much for following, friend, you make it so fun. :)

      Delete
  2. Enjoyable video Michele! And now as I read your enlightening blog, I can hear your voice reading the words to me!! Keep up the great work!!
    Barbara in Ms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha. thanks for the kind words, barbara. you're a gem! xox

      Delete
  3. it was so fun to see you in your home and hear your voice. I love me some Matt Damon too! Thanks for sharing your life with us.
    More videos please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oy, matt damon and a one shot video format! i must be nuts! thanks for watching, jojo. xox

      Delete
  4. I love this video! What a wonderful way to let people see the real you, although It think that comes across in your posts. I love visiting here because you have such a lovely, spiritual personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. merci for your kindness, elizabeth. i am humbled by your words and bow to pine cones and acorns! xox

      Delete
  5. Wonderful. Fun. Thank you for making me smile everytime I see a new post (and that's even before I read it :-)) xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, that's wonderful to hear! smiles are the beginnings of love! xox

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. and now you have added to the lovely, sandy! thanks! xox

      Delete
  7. Loved your dancing video! Most of all I loved that you were your barefoot self....except for the stiletto moment! It's good to see bloggers themselves not always being as perfect as their blogs! Make them more real! And, given all you had been through you had EVERY REASON to DANCE! Congratualations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for saying this! peace and light to you, Toni!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. thanks, leslie! we need more from you and your posse! xox

      Delete
  9. Michele,
    I love your take off of VOGUE 73 questions....
    Your quick punchy answers were as if you were interview by vogue themselves.
    Your home is sensational...
    Xoxo
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for your loyal following, Dore! I am ready for your video now...:)

      Delete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!