Books {Libraries} by Bjarne Hammer

December 15, 2014




I have always loved the library.
So does my mom, and one of our sons once asked
if we could live in one...which is sort of what I did!
For ten years I met with students at our local library
for academic tutoring and emotional coaching.
Those were sacred days I hold in my heart.

Lately I wonder what will become of these
shelters for books and bookworms like us.


Duchess Anna Amalia Library in Weimar, Germany

In bygone eras, they were constructed with great
care and expense as these examples prove.

Duchess Anna Amalia Library in Germany
is my favorite, but take a look at other beauties:



most-beautiful-libraries-8
Law Library at Munich

beautiful-libraries-29
Trinity College - Dublin

most-beautiful-libraries-12
Admont Abbey - Austria

most-beautiful-libraries-14
St. Genevieve - Paris

most-beautiful-libraries-20
Suzzalo - University of Washington 

I am in awe and think traveling the planet to visit
and photograph libraries such as these would be BEYOND WHOA.
In the mean time, we have an amazing compilation here:

In Libraries (Roads Reflections) 
by Bjarne Hammer (Roads, 2014),
we are invited into the most ornate libraries, lauded
universities and innovative design works on earth
including the ultra-modern, the opulent, and the austere.
(Hammer of Schmidt Hammer Lassen Architects is known
internationally for high profile cultural buildings including
libraries in Sweden, Denmark, Scotland and Canada.)

This is one gorgeous library book for my fellow picturebook lovers for which we will never ever have to return or pay a fine!

Do you still visit the library?



Click to find the most beautiful design books to inspire.


You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Oh my gosh, I've never seen anything like those. They are incredible! Think of the magic held within all those books ... The library in Germany is heavenly...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible Michele! .. they look like cathedrals. With all of the on line technology, libraries are not something many of us visit anymore. Hope you are enjoying your day:) xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. our library is definitely quieter these days (get it?) which is fine with me as long as it will remain open and functioning forever!

      Delete
  3. How I could sit all day in any of these libraries , they are so rich in beauty, and move me to read and write great things. I know they must house amazing books.

    What an inspiring post Michele.

    Would you just love to live in one of these historic places, I know I sure would.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wouldn't that be something!?! the only complication would be dusting all those shelves. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! These libraries are works of art! It would be such a wonderful experience to visit them all! Thanks for sharing!
    xo. Leslie
    Segreto Finishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to visit little ol' us, leslie! i know you must be swamped with the book tour. merci!

      Delete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!