The Laurent House {Hometown Hero}

September 03, 2012


Some exciting news from my
neck of the woods (Rockford, Illinois)...
this Frank Lloyd Wright gem will soon
be opening its doors as a museum!



The famous architect built The Laurent House
(home of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Laurent)
in 1956, and the couple lived here 56 years.
After Mr. Laurent's passing, plans to designate
the house a national historical designation began.


This is the famed architect's only handicapped-accessible
home, built for Ken Laurent who was injured in WWII.



The museum will open in April, but my husband
and I were so excited to glimpse a peek at the exterior
that we took a bike ride over to ooh and ahh.




Except for carpeting (which covers concrete floors
and will be removed before the opening),
everything is in original condition!












The community came together this summer
for a 'Party at Frank's House' to raise
funds for the Laurent Foundation.



I am so pleased our town will soon draw visitors
from around the globe to tour what Frank
referred to as 'his little gem.'
Need more encouragement to visit?
I will meet you there and hook you up with
THE BEST chocolate on the planet
right here in Rockford.

Peace to you right where you are.



You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Very, very nice to see - I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to see this, Michele. I know that this will mean a lot to your hometown.
    Happy Tuesday.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! It's amazing how beautiful and relevant the interiors are to today's design! Looks like you had a fab weekend!
    cheers, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great! One of the best all time architects in my book - and so one with nature, as he intended. That's great that only one family lived there, and that generation didn't see any need to "remodel" or "redecorate" - aren't we glad now that they didn't? What an experience it will be to tour it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's intriguing to see the house, and so neat that it will be saved and admired as an architectural work of art...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember studying his design in college.. and I was so blown away I actually retained much of what I learned Lol! This looks great and I'm on my way so.. let's have some chocolate :)

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frank Lloyd Wright and chocolate...a winning combination!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Frank Lloyd Wright, I remember I had to analyze one of his buildings in college, the Robie house in Chicago:)
    I wish I could go see the Laurent House in person when it opens.
    Love your blogg, lots of inspiration.
    Hugs
    Liza

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks so much, liza!

    i lived in oak park as a child for several years so the museum there was my introduction to frank lloyd wright. i also recently stayed at the arizona biltmore, a wonderful way to get your frank fix!

    michele

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!