Travel Inspiration: Ice caves

January 14, 2011

Eisriesenwelt, Austria

Eisriesenwelt
is the queen of ice caves--
stretching 40 kilometers.

I find these ice formations
inspiringly awesome.



From scienceray we learn:

"Where you have lava tubes
or limestone passage ways
below the ground,
occasionally a rare form
of cave evolves – the ice cave.

Strange, mysterious and often dangerous
they are often difficult to get to
and so not seen by huge amounts of people."





Isn't that color magnificent?


Demanovska, Slovakia

Another cave in Slovakia.


Devil's Icebox, Missouri

And here is one in the U.S.
perhaps not distinguished as
an ice cave, but I can attest it is
dang freezing in there.

Devil's Ice Box
is home to a maternal colony
of endangered grey bats,
and I have visited them with my  family
several times over the years.
My sons found the place pure magic.

Tours are not available currently
because the bats are sick.

I am not the only one enchanted by ice caves:




Welcome to
designer Richard Chai's
ice cave.

This installation in NY
was imagined by
Snarkitecture.




A single piece of foam rubber
was carved to uniquely
present the designer's
fashion.

After,
the creation was
responsibly recycled
as packing material.

Cool beans, earth.
Cool as the other side of the pillow, Snarkitecture.
Cool-a-roni, Richard Chai.

Peace to you right where you are.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. love this post--cool, exotic so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi M!

    This is so interesting... I was looking at the details of each picture and I felt transported to these magical places. You always find great things to inspire!

    Thank you for this post. I've learned something new today.

    xo

    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What amaaaaing pictures. I love them. I stared and stared and almost felt I was there!! I love the things you post on your blog. So cool (in this case, literally!).

    Do you have an email address? I can't find one or your blog or profile and when I try to reply to your comments, it comes up as 'no reply'...so I'll post my reply as a comment!!

    Here it is:

    Aaah, thank you, Michele. I'm glad you feel the suspense. I didn't read it in a book (fancy or otherwise ;-) ). It helps me to plan what I'm going to do next.

    Otherwise I flitter between one thing and the next too much!

    By the way, I think you have one of the best headers that I've seen. I want a pair of beribboned ballet shoes too!

    Sxxx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments add to the beauty...thanks in advance for your kindness.

blogher

Farmhouse Finds!